First Team
Combined Counties Premier South Sat 21 October Spelthorne Sports FC
Spelthorne Sports
Epsom & Ewell
  • Stanley (15')
  • Own Goal (', ')

Yes, that’s right – we overcame higher-placed Spelthorne Sports with a well-earned 1-0 victory on what proved to be an indifferent day weather-wise.  We wondered if the match would go ahead after the rain we had endured over the previous 48 hours, but in fact the pitch was in great condition when we arrived.

As for our team on the day, we were missing striker Marlon Pinder, and we welcomed back to the Club Luke Miller, who took a seat on the substitutes’ bench.

We started well and on the ‘front foot’ which probably surprised our higher placed opponents and were in control of the game in this early period.  In particular, Sirak Negassi was causing all sorts of problems on the right wing for the Spellthorne left back.  In the 15th minute we took the lead from a penalty which was earned by the scorer, Jaan Stanley, after he was fouled during a swift break by Ade Batula, who fed the ball to him just outside the penalty box.  He advanced into the penalty area and was clearly fouled, which gave the referee a simple decision.  Jaan stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way.  We were well worth the lead at this point in the game and could have increased our lead when a couple of good chances were squandered.  The referee blew for half time.

As we were enjoying our half time cup of tea, you could see the next band of weather forming above us, as the clouds darkened and it was not long before the rain came and the wind blew .  The conditions now for play would have an affect on the second half, as it became increasingly more difficult to control the ball in the wet and swirly conditions.  As the second half progressed it was our hosts who were largely in the ascendency, and we were fortunate to have a goalkeeper in Harvey Keogh at the ‘top of his game’ as he pulled off a good few saves to preserve our lead.  We also had the odd chance to increase our lead, but eventually we saw the game out and deservedly won 1-0.

This was a great team performance and you could see how much it meant to the team when the final whistle went.  This victory took us off the bottom of the table for the first time this season, and is testament to the hard work that has been put in after our change of management.

We now move onto what, on paper, is our hardest away game of the season against ‘big spending’ Farnham Town, but as we all know no game of football is played ‘on paper’.  We hope to see many of our loyal supporters there for what will be a game played in front of a large crowd.