First Team
Surrey Premier Cup Wed 21 December Fetcham Grove
Epsom & Ewell
  • Byatt (9')
  • Quintyne (72')
FC Deportivo Galicia

We welcomed Deportivo Galicia to Fetcham Grove for this Surrey Premier Cup match.  Our opponents sit atop the first division of the Combined Counties Division 1.  On paper, this would prove to be a good test. 

However, as the headline suggests the match was delayed by 15 minutes as our opponents had difficulty in getting to the match – they started the match with 10 players their 11th player arrived 3 minutes into the game. 

We changed our team due to some unavoidable absences with Steve Springett back in the side and on the bench, we welcomed Ryan Dacres-Smith and Mario Quassicca. 

Jamie Byatt had an early chance when his delicate chip narrowly went wide. It was that man again who opened the scoring for Epsom in the 9th minute with a measured finish.  Our opponents equalised 3 minutes later through a deflected shot which wrong-footed our keeper.  In the 23rd minute, a similar deflected shot this time for Epsom produced a brilliant save from the opposition keeper.  In the 28th minute, a sweeping move by Epsom ended in a tame shot that the keeper easily saved.  At the latter stage of the first half, we were forced into a change when Josh Owen went off to be replaced by Ryan Dacres-Smith who was making his debut. 

Half-time 1-1 

No changes after half-time. In the 48th minute Josh Alder had a couple of chances but all to no avail. Epsom was now in the ascendency and Jamie Byatt missed a half chance. The game was given a bit more atmosphere as the moist descended onto the pitch from the river Mole in the second half. In the 69th minute, Gavin Quintyne hit the bar with the goalkeeper well-beaten with Jamie Byatt unable to head the rebound in. The fog descended, making it difficult to see the other side of the pitch. Athan Smith-Joseph entered the fray to replace Josh Alder. In the 70th minute, Jaevon Dyer entered the game for Gideon Acheampong and then two minutes later Gavin Quintyne made it 2-1 with an absolute screamer that gave the keeper no chance. Mario Quiasscca then came on for the excellent Jamie Byatt. Deportivo equalised in the 76th minute. In the 85th minute, Deportivo scored their 3rd goal. In the 90th minute, Mario had a great chance, but the keeper made a great save, Deportivo scored their 4th goal in the 4th minute of extra time 

Deportivo progress and we move on to a local derby against Chessington and Hook on the 27th.